Even though I knew that red cabbage is super healthy; I never really bought it, as I had no idea what to do with it. Lately I’ve come across a few red cabbage recipes that sparked my curiosity. I went out, got myself a few red-heads and started experimenting. My mission was to prepare it raw instead of sautéing or steaming, as I didn’t want to lose any of its powerful nutrients.
I was surprised by the robust hearty flavor and its crunch. The purplish red color is so beautiful and makes any boring salad look gorgeous. I decided to add kale to this salad, another super food from the cruciferous family of “holy” vegetables just like red cabbage.
You all know I love my cheese; I couldn’t resist adding a little bit of Gorgonzola which perfectly pairs with the pear in this salad. Gorgonzola and pear really LOVE each other.
The dressing adds the finishing touch to this salad. …not too overpowering but present enough to get your attention. My taste buds were dancing on my tongue!
I’ve had this salad a few times in the last couple of days and served it for friends who loved it too. I’m hooked, red cabbage is my new accessory; versatile and easy to use!
Wishing you all a flavorful weekend 😉
- 1½ cups Kale
- 1½ cups Red cabbage
- 1 “Bartlett” pear
- ¼ cup Gorgonzola cheese
- ½ cup Walnuts
- 1 tbsp Red union
- ¼ cup Olive oil
- 1 tbsp Dijon Mustard
- 1 tbsp Maple syrup
- 1 tsp ACV
- 1 tsp Red wine vinegar
- Thinly slice the red cabbage
- Finely chop the kale, the finer the softer it becomes (Don’t use the stalk).
- Finely chop the red union and mix the union, cabbage and kale in a large bowl.
- Make the dressing and dress the salad.
- Thinly slice the pear and lay it on top of the salad
- Chop up the Gorgonzola and divide it over the salad .(It’s best to take the Gorgonzola out of the fridge when you are ready to use it, it’s hard to cut it up at room temperature)
- Top it off with the walnuts.