Eat hot cereal today, it will keep you warm all day!
It’s getting dark early, temperatures have dropped, winter time has officially started. No more frosty acai bowls, my body is asking for hot breakfasts! I like to start the day with”Mighty Tasty Hot Cereal” (Red Mill) It’s a nutritious, gluten free cereal made out of whole grain brown rice, corn, sorghum and buckwheat.
And you know me; I love making ordinary food, extraordinary! A little healthy fat; coconut oil + shredding helps you stay full longer and the walnuts will support your brain for the rest of the day!
To me, the perfect consistency for this hot cereal is slightly runny and not too stiff. It’s tempting to pour in more cereal because it always looks way to thin at first. I made this mistake many times and had to keep adding milk to get it back to normal. Trust me it thickens, even while it’s sitting in your bowl waiting to be decorated.
In case you like it a little thicker, just add a little more…..and I mean….a little….unless you need some cement to fill a hole in your wall right after breakfast 😉
- 1/4 cup mighty tasty hot cereal
- 1 cup milk/milk alternative
- 1 tsp coconut oil
- 1 tbsp maple syrup/raw honey
- 2 tbsp raisins
- 2-3 tbsp raw walnuts
- 1 tbsp hazelnuts
- 1 tbsp shredded coconut
- Bring 1 cup milk (or soy) to a boil and stir in 1/4 cup of cereal.
- Cover and let it simmer for 8-10 minutes, stir occasionally.
- Let the coconut oil melt in the cereal
- Transfer to a bowl
- Sweeten with maple syrup or raw honey.
- Top it off with raisins, walnuts, hazelnuts and shredded coconut