This tiny nutritional giant crept into my kitchen over the past months and quickly earned a spot among my kitchen staples.
Until recently lentils were not part of my food vocabulary, I thought they were boring until I went to “Choices” a vegan café in Miami. I ordered the lentil soup and I have to admit when it was served a flash of regret ran through my mind. “I should have ordered something else.. this doesn’t look great, this might be on the edge of ‘too’ healthy”. I picked up my spoon and took a first bite and I couldn’t believe my taste buds. Was this really happening? It was incredibly flavorful, infused with cumin. I devoured the whole bowl and that from that moment on I’ve been developing this recipe for you!
I combined lentils, salmon and broccoli to max out the health benefits. Lentils are high in fiber and provide six important minerals, two B-vitamins, and protein, all with virtually no fat. The salmon provides the omega-3 fatty acid and broccoli holds the status of being among the most nutritious vegetables around.
It feels like a victory to make crazy healthy food this tasty! I can’t wait for you to try it! In the meantime I’m going to warm up the left-over lentils and have it for lunch!
Giggles and lots of excitement,
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- ½ cup carrots, finely chopped
- ½ cup leeks, finely chopped
- 1.5 quart chicken stock
- 16 oz dry black lentils
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp cumin
- ½ tsp coriander
- ½ cup diced tomatoes, canned
- 1-2 tsp sea salt
- Use a big pot or Dutch oven to make this soup. Heat the pan over medium heat, add the olive oil and once hot, add the onion, carrot and leeks.
- Stir them around for about 5 minutes, until the onion is translucent.
- Add the chicken stock, lentils, lentils, bay leaves, cumin, coriander and tomatoes and bring to a boil. Add one teaspoon salt.
- Reduce the heat to low, cover and let it summer for 40 minutes.
- After 30 something minutes start making the salmon; rub the salmon in with some olive oil. Grill the salmon or put it under a broiler (8-10 min per inch)
- Blanch the broccoli florets: drop them into boiling water (add a pinch of salt) for 2-3 minutes then run cold water over them and drain.
- The lentil soup should be ready at this time; take the two bay leaves out and add salt to taste. I personally love extra cumin on it!
- Scoop the lentils in a bowl, place the salmon fillets on the bed of lentils and add the broccoli.
- Serve immediately!
- I like to make the six servings event though I might only need two to four. Just refrigerate and enjoy it the next day with something else! Mix in veggies and you might want to add some chicken stock.
- I didn't specify the amount of broccoli; eat as much as you like :)
- Every person gets 1 salmon fillet served on the bed of lentils!