I like to eat soup all year around, it’s such an easy and tasty way to eat more vegetables. Creamy soups are my favorite, the silky and thick consistency make me feel relaxed and satisfied.
Now creamy soups are not among the healthiest if there’s heavy whip in them, but it makes it taste sooooo much better. How else are you going to get that same silky texture?
Raw cashews is the answer! I swear by it; I read about it years ago and after trying it once I’ve never again used heavy whip for my soups. It tastes equally good and it’s so much better for you! You do need a good blender ( I use the Vitamix), you want the cashews to be completely blended, no chunks.
- 1-2 tbsp olive oil
- 3 cups baby bella mushroom, sliced
- 1 medium leek, sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, sliced
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 1 sprig thyme
- ½ cup raw cashews
- salt & pepper
- a tad nutmeg
- 1-2 chives, chopped
- Heat the pan medium/high heat with some olive oil.
- Sautee the mushroom and leek for a few minutes and add the garlic for another minute or two.
- Season with some salt and pepper.
- Pour in the chicken stock and add the thyme.
- Bring to a boil and let it simmer for 20 min.
- Take the Thyme out, transfer to a heat resistant blender, add the cashews and blend until smooth.
- If needed add a bit more salt or pepper to taste.
- Finish with a tad nutmeg and chopped chives.