Carrot cake is often not as healthy as it sounds. Most carrot cakes are made with lots of butter, sugar, white flour and only a small amount of carrots.
Not this clever carrot cake! Want to indulge without the bulge? Try this recipe!
This carrot cake contains 3 ½ cups of carrot pulp and ½ cup apple pulp. The naturally sweet pulp, honey, vanilla extract and raisins sweeten this cake beautifully. And instead of white four I use wholesome wheat flour and flaxseed! I replaced butter with canola oil, it’s one of the healthiest cooking oils since it’s low in saturated fats.
Soon after I put this cake in the oven a sweet scent mixed with cinnamon entered my nostrils. I hoped the hour would go by quickly, I couldn’t wait to eat a slice It’s a perfect cake, the crust is hard and the inside moist and dense.
I sometimes joke and say that it’s so healthy you can eat it for breakfast. In every joke there’s a little bit of truth, I have to admit I have done that more than once LOL.
You’ll need a juicer for this recipe.
BTW: Drink or save the apple/carrot juice, it’s delicious! I like to squeeze some fresh lemon in it.
- 3½ cups carrot pulp (approx 11-14 large carrots)
- ½ cup apple pulp (3-4 sweet apples, honeycrisp, fiji, gala)
- 1 cup organic canola oil
- 1 cup honey
- 3 eggs
- 1 ½ tbsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups whole-wheat flour
- 3 tbsp whole ground flaxseed
- 2 tbsp cinnamon
- 1 tbsp baking soda
- 2 tsp (teaspoons) nutmeg
- 1 cup crushed walnuts
- ½ cup raisins
- Preheat your oven to 350 F.
- Juice the carrots first.
- Take all the carrot pulp out of the pulp container.
- Juice the apples, and fill half a cup with pulp.
- Mix the first 6 ingredients together.
- Add the dry ingredients up to nutmeg.
- Last but not least blend in the walnuts and raisins.
- Grease the pan with a little canola oil and put the mixture in a pan. I used a rectangular cake pan (11x 4-inch) but you can use different shapes of course.
- Bake for one hour.
- Test with wooden skewer; if it comes out clean it’s ready. If not, bake it a little longer and test again.