Did you know that Quinoa is gluten free and easy to digest?! It’s also one of the few vegetarian “complete” proteins, meaning it contains all nine essential amino acids your body needs. And on top of that it’s high in iron, B vitamins, zinc, potassium, calcium, and vitamin E. Sounds good right?! Let’s make this ancient grain taste so good that you actually want to eat this a LOT
I think plain quinoa can be boring; I usually make it with chicken stock to add some flavor. But this will blow your mind: Quinoa cooked in fresh carrot juice with ginger and onion! Topped of with apple, coconut, avocado and toasted almonds! Oh yes, you’ll be eating sweet and fun-colored quinoa tonight!
- 2 tsp olive oil
- ½ cup yellow onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups carrot juice
- ½ tbs ginger, grated with zester
- 1 cup quinoa (I used rainbow quinoa)
- 2/3 cup apple, chopped
- ½ avocado, sliced or chopped
- 2 tbsp shredded coconut, unsweetened
- ½ cup sliced almonds
- Heat up a medium size saucepan, add oil and onions and sauté until translucent (about 3 minutes)
- Stir in the carrot juice, ginger, and quinoa. Bring to a boil and when it boils let it simmer (reduce heat to medium-low) until all liquid is absorbed (15-20 min).
- Let rest for 5 minutes, then fluff with a fork.
- While your quinoa is simmering, toast the sliced almonds ands start cutting up the apple and avocado.
- When everything is ready, divide the quinoa and the toppings (don’t forget the shredded coconut) onto the plates.
- I personally didn't think it needed it, but maybe you want to add a touch of salt to the quinoa.
- I like to take out the juicer and make fresh carrot juice for this recipe!
- Enjoy the rainbow!