Ashley Stetts, creator of “The Frugal Model” asked me to create a budget friendly recipe and I must say it was quite a challenge! Mainly because I purchased all ingredients at Whole foods (a.k.a Whole pay check) and I wanted this meal to be partly organic.
Here it is; I’m proud to present the “ Coconut, lemon & ginger chicken with couscous” recipe. This delicious meal was only $4.19 p.p to make!
Find out how these costs were calculated and read the interview in which I’m sharing tips on healthy eating on a budget.
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/3 cup yellow onion, chopped
- 4 ounce chicken cutlets, thinly sliced
- 3/4 can coconut milk
- 0.4 pound carrots, thinly sliced
- 1 1/2 cup wheat couscous
- 2 slices ginger
- 1 Tbsp lemon, juice
- 1/4 cup cilantro
- salt & pepper
- Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent
- Pour in the coconut milk, heat it and add the ginger, lemon juice + cilantro.
- Season it to taste with salt and pepper.
- Put in the thinly sliced chicken cutlets inside the coconut milk and let everything simmer on low heat for 10 min. Add carrots and let them simmer with the chicken for another 8-10 minutes.
- While the chicken simmers, make the couscous. I always like to add a little butter to my finished couscous to give it a slightly creamy taste. Put the couscous on a plate and scoop the coconut mixture on top of it.
- Enjoy! ☺