When I first moved from Holland to the United States, I discovered the difference in “Bread culture” after ordering my first ham and cheese sandwich at a deli. I couldn’t believe that there were four layers of ham and another four thick layers of cheese on a single sandwich!
When ordering a sandwich in Holland in one of the many deli’s (Broodjeszaak in Dutch) you get exactly one layer of whatever you ordered on your bread! I can only imagine the disappointment Americans must feel when they travel to Holland and order a sandwich 😉 They must think it’s a rip off!
Over the years I’ve always stuck with my one layer habit, usually a flavorful cheese like Gouda, sharp cheddar or brie on top of a slice of whole grain bread for lunch. But that doesn’t mean that my sandwiches are boring 😉 This is what I made today!
- 1 slice of whole grain toast
- 3 thin slices brie
- ¼ green apple, very thinly slice
- 5 red grapes (cut in half)
- Spread a thin layer of your favorite butter or margarine on the toast.
- Layer the brie, apple, grapes and arugula ( in that order) and crack some pepper on top!